SAG Awards 2019 – Breakdown
Sunday night, actors from both film and television joined forces and celebrated the wonderful work that has graced our screens – both big and small – as they attended the 25th Annual Screen Actors Guild Awards.
The SAG Awards are one of the most prized honours and the result of this ceremony tends to give an inkling as to who will likely be frontrunners for the Academy Awards, taking place on Sunday 28th February, 2019, although this years list of surprising recipients may make it difficult to gauge who will win big next month.
Black Panther took home the big award of the night as it won Outstanding Performance by a Cast in Motion Picture.
Rami Malek won Male Actor in a Leading Role for his performance as icon Freddie Mercury in the Queen biopic, Bohemian Rhapsody.
Glenn Close won Female Actor in a Leading Role for her performance in The Wife. Both of them are nominated in the same categories at the upcoming Academy Awards.
The award of Male Actor in a Supporting Role went to Mahershala Ali for Green Book.
Emily Blunt was nominated in two categories – Female Actor in a Leading Role for Mary Poppins, Female Actor in a Supporting Role for A Quiet Place– and took home the award for supporting female actor, which was a surprising result.
Blunt was shocked about her win but gave a notable mention to her husband (and director of A Quiet Place) John Krasinski: “I am going to share this completely with my husband, John Krasinski, because the entire experience of doing this with you has completely pierced my heart directly. You are a stunning filmmaker”.
It definitely seems to be the year of the underdogs, as the unlikely contenders of nominees are getting the spotlight during award season.
Were you surprised by the outcome of the SAG Awards and who do you think will conquer the Academy Awards next month?
The full list of winners in Film and Television are as follows:
- Best actor – Rami Malek, Bohemian Rhapsody
- Best actress – Glenn Close, The Wife
- Best actor in a supporting role – Mahershala Ali, Green Book
- Best actress in a supporting role – Emily Blunt, A Quiet Place
- Outstanding performance by a cast in a motion picture – Black Panther
- Outstanding action performance by a stunt ensemble in a motion picture – Black Panther
- Best actor in a drama series – Jason Bateman, Ozark
- Best actress in a drama series – Sandra Oh, Killing Eve
- Best actor in a TV series or limited series – Darren Criss, The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story
- Best actress in a TV series or limited series – Patricia Arquette, Escape at Dannemora
- Best actor in a comedy series – Tony Shalhoub, The Marvellous Mrs Maisel
- Best actress in a comedy series – Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvellous Mrs Maisel
- Outstanding performance by an ensemble in a drama series – This Is Us
- Outstanding performance by an ensemble in a comedy series – The Marvellous Mrs Maisel
- Outstanding action performance by a stunt ensemble in a comedy or drama series – Glow
- Life achievement award – Alan Alda
- Steven Berkoff May 24, 2019
- Sorry To Bother You May 24, 2019
- Polish Cinema May 22, 2019
- Scandinavian Drama at Cheltenham International Festival of Film. May 21, 2019